Overview – Elastic IP in AWS (Amazon Public Cloud) in One Minute
2 years ago
Elastic IP in AWS
- Static IP addresses designed for dynamic cloud computing.
- Associated with your account.
- Need to explicitly release it
- It can be remapped programmatically.
- 5 Elastic IP addresses are offered by AWS.
- 1:1 mapping for Elastic IP and instance.
- A reboot or restart of an instance has no impact on the mapping of an Elastic IP to it.
- Instance termination will remove the mapping and the Elastic IP.
- $.01/hr charge when these IP addresses are not mapped to an instance.
- EC2 Private IP Address: only routable within the EC2 Cloud. Network traffic originating outside the EC2 network cannot route to this IP.
- EC2 Public IP Address: Internet routable IP address assigned by the system for all instances. Traffic routed to the Public IP is translated via 1:1 Network Address Translation (NAT) and forwarded to the Private IP address of an instance.
- EC2 Elastic IP Address: Internet routable IP address allocated to an AWS EC2 account. It can be remapped to other instances when desired.