Voldemort is a distributed key-value data store used at LinkedIn for high-scalability storage problems where simple functional partitioning is not sufficient.
It is named after the very popular fictional Harry Potter villain Lord Voldemort. Voldermort contains in-memory caching with storage system hence a separate caching tier is not needed. It supports horizontal scalability for reads and writes. It is a more of fault tolerant hash table.
- Horizontal scalability and High availability for O/R mapper such as hibernate and active-record
- Support for distribution across data centers that are far apart by pluggable data placement strategies
- Automatic data replication over large number of servers
- Versioned data items to maintain and maximize data integrity
- Transparent failure handling